How To Apply
APPLICATION TIMES & REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
Please Read Carefully
STARK METROPOLITAN HOUSING AUTHORITY (SMHA) is accepting applications for our Public Housing programs at the following locations and times:
- CANTON OFFICE - 400 E. Tuscarawas St., Canton
Tuesdays, 8:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m. (the first 20 applicants only)
Wednesdays, 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- MASSILLON OFFICE - 1711 – 16TH St. SE Massillon
1st Tuesday of every month, 1:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m. (the first 20 applicants only)
- ALLIANCE OFFICE - 135 E. Simpson Ave.Alliance
2nd Tuesday of every month, 1:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m. (the first 20 applicants only)
The following is a list of documents needed to place an application for housing with SMHA. Without the required documentation, SMHA will not be able to accept your application.
This information is MANDATORY for ALL household members. You WILL NOT be seen without these documents for all household members:
- Current Photo ID for everyone 18 years of age & older in your household. This may be your driver’s license or State ID.
- Official Birth Certificates (the one on file with the Health Department) for all household members.
- Social Security Cards for all household members.
The following information is required as applicable for your household:
- Verifications of All Income That You Receive. This may include income from employment, child support, SSI, Social Security and other sources
- Complete names and addresses of your current and former landlords.
- Verification of Marital Status. Marriage certificate and divorce or separation documents. (Those on file with the Clerk of Courts.)
- Custody Papers, if you have court ordered custody arrangements.
- Proof of Pregnancy, with due date, if you are pregnant.
- Enrollment Documents, if you are attending college or job training or if you graduated from such training within the past twelve months.
- Proof of Residency, if you live in a shelter.
- Military Discharge Certificate or DD Form 214, if you are a veteran or the widow of a veteran.
- Immigration and Naturalization Documents, if applicable.
The application process may take several hours. Please plan accordingly and arrange for childcare, if necessary.
People Helping People